Sunday, August 8, 2010

Glitches And Detours

I decided to drop the idea of transcribing my Hillsongs notes into a coherent narrative that I can put here daily. I just got too lazy and they don't make sense anyway, once rearranged like that. Instead, they will stay in my physical notebook, ready to dish out when the time calls for it.

I learned something new today. As I drove home, the van's engine was cut off just before I got to the motorway. Luckily I managed to get it restarted before the traffic moved along. Five minutes later, I felt the pedal was getting heavy just as I was climbing up harbor bridge. Luckily it didn't die there. Down the bridge I went, and to the side of the road because the engine had cut off again. The first time around I thought it was battery problem, because that's what I had with my car previously. The second time around, I realized that I have ran out of gas. I was about three minutes away from a petrol station, so I kicked it to start and fought along. Ten meters later, I knew I wasn't going to make it. So there I was at the side of the road. The solution was quite simple, just walk to the petrol station, borrowed a container of some sort, get a few liters of diesel, and walk back. Problem was, there was about 40m left of the motorway, without a footpath. So, one block away from a police station, I broke the law. Twice. Everything went as planned. Nobody broke into the van. I didn't see a single cop. And the van is up and running now. The whole ordeal took a bit less than half an hour.

Looking back now, an hour later, it feels funny. But an hour ago, I sure wasn't laughing. It wasn't a dire situation. I knew exactly what to do, I had lots of time, the sun was still up, and it wasn't raining like it had the whole day. There were so many other things that could've gone wrong but didn't. It could've been raining. I could've gotten hit by a car on those 40-60m of illegally walking on a motorway. Afterall, it's illegal for a reason. I could've met a cop and had to explain all that stuff. Instead, everything went absolutely fine. That's God right there.

That was just a small thing. The biggest thing about it is that I've never experienced that ever before. Well, now I have. I learned something new today. Sometimes things don't go as planned. Sometimes I have to take a detour, an extra half an hour to the journey. Sometimes I have to do things I've never done before to keep going forward. In a tidy culture here in New Zealand, a detour is an annoyance, a disturbance in the force. Not always so, I learned today. So the next time things don't go as planned, I will remember that it may not be so bad afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment